Chuck Norris knits sweaters. And by knits, I mean eats. And by sweaters, I mean children.

Monday, August 07, 2006

FO: knit.1 plaid turtleneck fall 2005


Pattern: #13 Plaid Turtleneck from Knit.1 Fall 2005.
Yarn: Lion-Brand Wool-Ease (80% acrylic, 20% wool): 4 skeins chocolate brown, less than 1 skein camel
Mods: Instead of using different colors for the ribbing, plaid background, and stripes, I used only two, keeping the ribbing and the plaid background the same color. I also shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length, figuring that I always roll up long sleeves anyway, and omitted the turtleneck, because I have this notion that wearing turtlenecks gives me a double-chin. The instructions for the plaid piece in the front say to knit the horizontal stripes in and single crochet the verticle ones in after the piece is finished. This sounded alright to me until I was ready to finish the sweater and realized that my crochet, well, IT IS NOT VERY GOOD. I had almost all the vertical stripes crocheted in using some bizarre combination of ch and sc (do I even have the abbreviations right? obviously accuracy is not my forte) before realizing just how terrible it looked, even though I had done it and redone it about 400 times each. Not only did it look wonky and not like stockinette stitch at all, but it also made the fabric around it pucker. UGH. Maybe crochet isn't the best way to do this, or maybe I don't know how to crochet. Which is HIGHLY possible. But still, at that point I had no idea what to do, on one hand being exasperated at being so close to finishing yet so far away, and on the other considering undoing all the seaming and reknitting the front so I could intarsia the vertical stripes. *Puts hand to forehead* Yeah right, get me my fainting couch and some lemon water. Anyway, I finally stumbled on a tutorial for chain-stitch embroidery, bless its soul, and finished the sweater up. AND HERE IT IS.

Knitty moment: Knitting this in the car on the way to see Franz Ferdinand in Boston, with mom in the driver's seat going, "Agganis Arena? Where the FRANZ* is Agganis Arena?" and my sister Kate giving me dirty looks because, well, Kate always gives me dirty looks.

This was my first sweater where I actually had to seam sleeve caps (shout out to my Hourglass Pullover, I <3 you)The verdict? It's alright. There's no shaping, so the fit is a little baggy, and while I like the look of the saddle-shoulders, it makes me look a wee bit like a linebacker. But I'll still wear it, although maybe not with something underneath. AND NOT WITHOUT MY CRAZY GOLD EARRINGS. That is all :-D



*censored

1 Comments:

Blogger aurora said...

Hey - I commented on this on Craftster, but I know how great it is to get blog comments too! It looks FAB. And I'm very jealous that you got to see Franz Ferdinand!

Can't wait to see your corset pullover - it's on my list of things I really want to knit :-)

(I'm owly on craftster!)

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home